NOTE: The website is under construction!
My name is Destiny Slater, better known as Sakeozo.I'm a Deaf cartoonist, and I love working on illustration, graphic novel, & character design. I am capable of creating 2D animation & storyboarding, but they both are more of my hobbies.It is the highest priority that my work has empowering, independent, and strong main Deaf protagonists that fits in my personal philosophy on how a Deaf character is better written. Frustrated by the lack of childhood with the positive reinforcement in the Deaf character representation of someone like me, I've decided I'm taking this matter into my hands to turn my childhood's desire into a reality. I hope to become a firestarter... By opening this fiery path up for other underrepresented talented creatives to gain both experience and opportunity to bring forth the potential animation adaption and any other collaborative project! To form a community!Nowadays, I juggle between my personal projects and other freelancing gigs ranging anywhere from something as small as drawing a cute little rock for someone's Twitch stream, or to something as big as being a leading artist for a private art project. Taking whatever opportunities that will help me reach my big goal.
○ Bachelor of Science in Media Arts & Animation - The Art Institute of Pittsburgh (Dec 2018)
○ NOCTI Certifications: Advertising Design (2012 - 2014) + Multimedia Design (2014 - 2015) - Forbes Road CTC
○ Self-Taught - Me! (1999 - Present)
○ Ta-Da Studios (2021 - Present! 💪)
••• Animator, Asset Artist, Character Designer, Logo Designer, Visual Design, & Researcher+Troubleshooting.○ Card Game Company, NDA (2021 - Present! 💪)
••• Graphic Artist & Art Guide Writer○ Collectible Art Project, NDA (2021 - 2022)
••• Leading Artist, Artist, Guide Writer, and Direct Consultation○ National Theatre of the Deaf, Deafenstein (2021)
••• Visual projection backgrounds & 2D Animation○ Office of the District Attorney, County of Allegheny
Opioid Overdose Explainer Video (2018)
••• Illustrator, Animator, and co-lead team production○ Crossing-Over (2014-2015)
Most of the projects listed here are work in process!Your professional guidance, financial assistance, and referral to the agent to help these stories to get moving, are greatly appreciated and desired.
Race Against Tempium
Originally, "Race Against Tempium" was created to pitch an animated film for a big-name animation studio to their request for an authentic Deaf story and representation. I've been hungry for an independent, self-empowering, and powerful main protagonist who is Deaf. Too many entertainment media with Deaf character put them in a very disempowering position and does not represent them accurately because of the lack of Deaf people in the production team. I want to change this and become an example for others.Although rejected, I'm going to keep pitching this to other animation studios, and work on this for a possible future graphic novel project in hope for the eventual film adaption or of any similar opportunity.
CHARACTER REFERENCE SHEET
One day, I promised my child self that I will make this personal graphic novel project happen, and now I have gained enough skill and experience to make this project happen. You just wait and watch a decades worth of lore from inside my head comes to unfold when it's the time for the release!
HOW LOVELY!~ is a suspenseful crime drama set in an alternate future of 2038 based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and starring three diverse characters to create a chaotic friendship:
♦ Kuro Hebito: Pessimist
♦ Hope Fox (06): Optimist
♦ Taiya Vasiliev: Neutral
Since 2033 when petrified statues of gorgon people in Thailand were discovered, many researchers has disappeared from that site. The main protagonist, Kuro Hebito, he is determined to find out why his mother, who is one of the researchers, has suddenly disappeared, meanwhile, stuck by his side are two of his equally misfit friends, Hope Fox and Taiya Vasiliev.(Summary is work in progress.)
THE ART OF HOW LOVELY!~
Note: Some pictures are really old.
Pending. More information to come.
I really could use more experience, guidance, and help with direction for this section.
See You Later, Slater!
Various Short Comics
The Art Institute of Pittsburgh
2D Animation Sir "Tony" Mooge made it to employee of the month.
What could his reaction be?Software: Adobe Photoshop, Toon Boom Harmony, and Adobe After Effects.
The Art Institute of Pittsburgh
Digital CompositionA small experiment with Adobe After Effects and camera.Software: Adobe Photoshop and Adobe After Effects.
ASL Emoji Collection (On-Going)
Pixel Icon Animation
50x50 icon made to client specifications.
Software: Adobe Photoshop
Various character reference sheets for all different purposes in no order--
Simple character design, turnaround, visual dev, and fursuit.
Character Visual Dev
Mostly rough art to figure out their personality, design, relationship, and more.
If something is out of your budget, I can accept a payment plan.
However, in exchange, that also means the delivery timing will take longer per payment.
OPEN! Please click this button to see what you can get:
Please take your time to review the Terms of Service before placing the order for the art service.
Digital Art Mentorship
Destiny offers an hour of ASL-accessible mentorship 1:1 with anyone who wants to learn how to draw, strengthen a certain art fundamental skill, understand digital art program. You will receive in-depth redline over your art to visually see what needs improvement, feedback, and resources.A person can book up to three times per week for an hour. If interested, you will be offered a form to fill the information out for me to get to know you, and you will be asked to share your work with me so I can assess you and plan accordingly for the best experience.$45 for one hour of 1:1 + draw-over redline + written constructive criticism!
PLUS exclusive role channel access to my Discord server if you support to my Ko-Fi!
Interviews / Presentation
In the past, Destiny had interviews with two different ASL-accessible Deaf media news, and presented in front of lawyers, Dreamworks professionals, Deaf Business Owners organization, out-of-state college classes, and at school for the Deaf. Destiny mainly talks about the journey as a freelancing artist whose business is mainly online, formal education in animation, and sharing important information about art/animation/comics for the ambitious ones to learn and use to empower themselves. Not to forget, a pep talk! Everyone needs that.If interested, please introduce yourself, the details of what kind of information you seek from me to share with your audience/class, a list of questions, and what kind of things will be covered.
Interested? Submit Here!
Note: If Google Form add-on isn't working out, please email email@example.com or go to ABOUT page.If doing that, please make sure you provide this information:
Who are you/your company, which service, details/specifications, your budgeting, and questions.
Definitions- Artist: An individual producing the picture for the client. ("Destiny Slater" / "Sakeozo")
- Client: An individual purchasing the commission. (You)
- Commission: The form of service provided by the artist to the client per the commission agreement.
- NSFW: An abbreviation for "Not Suitable/Safe For Work" meaning the context itself is not something to be opened up in a public place such as a typical workplace, school, or anywhere else, because of the adult theme involved.◎•◉○◎•◉○◎•◉○◎•◉○◎•◉○◎•◉○◎•◉○◎•◉○◎•◉○◎•◉○◎•◉○◎•◉○◎•◉○◎•◉○◎•◉○General
• Artist’s average turnaround varies depending on request and to-do. One-character, full-rendered digital illustration of one character can take 1-7 days. // For 2D animation, 1-3 month(s). The artist always will inform a client about the turnaround in discussion before payment.
• Artist is not responsible for holding onto old commission files. The client is responsible to save files and keep track of it, and it won't entitle them to free work down the line.
• Complex characters and specifications may be subject to a higher price.
• All artwork is signed with the artist’s online alias ("Sakeozo") except for NSFW artwork under the different alias. The client will receive the information about the artist's NSFW art account alias. The artist will reveal the NSFW art account alias to the client if the client commissioned the artist to draw something NSFW.
• Artist always uploads commission to social media sites, unless the client specifically requested the artist not to. Typically, the artist uploads the picture on these platforms: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, DeviantART, Tumblr, TikTok, and Ko-Fi.
• If the client is anxious about the commission, please let the artist know at the beginning of the transaction, and the artist will do their best to help minimize that anxiety.◎Payment
• Payment is typically sent through PayPal only in USD. The client will receive an invoice on Paypal from the artist. If the client wishes to pay the artist that is not through Paypal, please specify that.
• If the client chooses to cancel the commission and it has already been worked on, the client's refund will reflect the progress made on the piece.
• At least the first half of the payment is due upfront before the artist begins on the work. Once the rough sketch image has been approved by the client, then the other half of the payment needs to be done to complete the rest of the art progress.
• If clients really like the artist's service and work, tips are welcome and super appreciated!◎Limitations
• The artist reserves the right to reject commission if it comes to:
---- Copyrighted materials, unless given permission from the owner (will require a proof) but the fan character is fine.
---- Minor client (Under 18 years old) ordering NSFW work.
---- Hate speech.
---- Real-life people who are not either the artist or client, unless given permission from those people (will require a proof).
---- If the client is being pushy, rude, attempts intimidation tactic, and does not respect the artist's pricing, that client will be blacklisted by the artist permanently. The artist may also privately share the experience with other Deaf creators to protect them from the unkind client.
---- If it goes against the artist's value.
---- Any other reason that makes an artist uncomfortable.◎Things that can modify the cost of an order
• Due to the additional time and effort, the cost increases if it comes to:
---- Complex Character Design
---- Additional Characters
---- Specific detailed background
---- Additional Character(s) (+ 50% of base price per character.)
---- Heavy written text as a reference instead of a visual reference.
---- If it is not the artist's favorite subject.
---- Licensing (20-40% times of the cost)• Due to the shorter time and effort, the cost decreases if it comes to:
---- Blob-like character design
---- Returning client.
---- Granting artist's creative freedom.
---- If the project seems really simple and quick.
---- High royalty and the artist strongly believe in the client's platform.◎Work in Progress
• If the client asks for updates, the artist must accept the client's decision.
• Client will not be charged for wanting to see their commission work in progress.
• Artist will reach out to the client and show their work in progress whenever the artist has questions, completed sketch, ink, flat color, shading/lighting, and then touch-up to the final.◎Refunds
• If the artist decides to cancel the client's commission, then the client will get a full refund regardless of the process of the commission.
• Artist will accept partial Refund once the artist has flat colored client's commission
• There will be NO refund once the picture is finished.◎Alterations
• It is the client's responsibility to make sure they have the information nailed down before commissioning the artist. They may ask the artist questions if they want to know what kind of information they need to provide to the artist.
• It is the client's responsibility to communicate with artists if they have any concerns and want to make changes to the work.
• Artist will fix small/minor mistakes and fixes for free.
• If the client wishes to make a major change to pose, entire character design, scene, and the likes, after the artist's rough sketch has been completed, then the client will be charged 50% of the base price. 25% of the base cost extra more, if it has been colored in already.
• Once the commission has been approved, labeled completed, and uploaded to social media sites by the artist, it is completed and cannot be altered anymore after that. The client will need to make a new order.◎Using and Re-Posting Your Commission Image
• By commissioning the artist, the client does not own the rights to the image, the client is paying for the work. If the client is interested in buying the rights to the image, please specify that before commissioning the artist.
• The client may upload/use the commissioned artwork to their personal website or gallery, but credit to the artist is required.
• Client may NOT re-sell, edit, alter, claim the commission work as their own, or use this work for profit gain in any way, shape, or form unless the artist transfers copyright to the client.
• If the client is selling a character and a piece of artist's artwork is included, they may not sell artwork along with it, unless the artist was contacted and given permission beforehand.
Do you agree to this Terms of Service?